Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day 7. Last day (a sad day, vacation is over)

11/30/13. Well, apparently I've done something çuz my original Day 7 post is gone. Hopefully I'll be able to "re-create" it and won't forget anything! So, here goes ...
All during this trip we'd been sleeping 8 or 9 hours each night. But the night before our last day, I was awake by 2:58 a.m. Grrr. Anyway, we were on the road by 5:38. We had a 12+ hour drive ahead of us and wanted to get an early start so we wouldn't be getting back to New Orleans too late.
We stopped at McD's a couple hours down the road. We apparently haven't eaten "breakfast" there lately because the biscuits were HUGE. But then we decided maybe it's just Florida that has the biggest and best biscuits we'd ever eaten at McD's!
We kept seeing lots of vehicles with 'Gator stuff all over their windows, car doors, bumpers, etc. Apparently, there was a big in-state college football game going on that day between the 'Gators and 'Noles. We had stopped at a rest area before Gainesville and it was packed with "tailgators" drinking and eating and having a great time! Once we got closer to Gainesville, the highway was almost at a standstill because of all the cars trying to get off the highway. FYI, the 'Gators lost to the 'Noles 37-7. Yikes!
I love the trees and foliage in Florida. I especially like the trees that are covered in moss. I'm sure all that moss is killing those trees, but I just love the look of it! I tried to take a picture but at 75 mph all I got was a blog of blur.
Before we left the panhandle of Florida, we made two more stops! I was finally able to get the peanutbuster parfait from Dairy Queen that I'd been wanting the entire trip! We also stopped at what I think is the country's biggest rest area. It had to have been at least a half mile off the highway. We just kept getting deeper and deeper into the woods and wondering what in the world was going on. We hadn't seen any other cars but after we made that last turn, there it was - a HUGE rest area (pics. 1, 2, 3 & 4).
I don't know other people who do this, but I look at all the license plates of the vehicles that we pass, or that pass us. Don't know why, just like to know where people are from. We passed two Washington state license plates and one Oregon license plate. I asked Jim if they wondered what we were doing down there just like I wondered what they were doing down there. He said probably not! I make up stories about what they're doing and why! It's a fun way to pass the time!
Once we were in Mississippi, we made our final stop of the day. I loved these wood (tree) sculptures (pics. 5 & 6) but by the time I'd taken the pictures, there were too many people jumbled around to see what they were all about.
And once again, the highways in Mississippi were so nice and clean. There were about a dozen of those big tractor/mower things out sprucing things up! There wasn't a speck of garbage anywhere alongside the highway either. I was very impressed.
While we were in Tennessee Tami took a couple of pictures but I wasn't able to get them from my cell phone or tablet but wanted to include them cuz they were hilarious! Pic. 7 is Jim & Dean and you can tell they were having a great time our first night in Tennessee! Pic. 8 is Jim & I and apparently I was having a great time telling a story our second night in Tennessee! We had a wonderful time with my cousin and his wife and can't wait to get together again!
Well, this adventure is over and we had a long, busy, cold (it was cold until we got to Florida), fun week. Now it's time to start preparing for our next adventure ... a Christmas cruise out of New Orleans (just a short cab ride away)!

No comments:

Post a Comment